Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sunshine and happiness

I was reading through some of my old posts and I noticed I've talked a lot about being happy. I think I've made it sound like I haven't been happy and I've been trying to make myself happy. Not true! I've really been quite happy with life, but just like any person have issues sometimes or have hormonal imbalances that cause my emotions to go bizerk! (sorry hubs).

So just to be clear: I am very happy! In fact many times in my life I've been asked if I do drugs or something because they thought a person could only be that happy artificially.  Turns out you can be happy without drugs or other substances! Yep I've done it. Done it for my whole life.  My mom used to say "she's high on life." Good way to put it mom, thanks for backin' me up.  I remember my 7th grade history teacher calling my mom and telling her that I did drugs because I had drawn a mushroom on my paper.  Mom says "I know my daughter and she doesn't do drugs." My teacher said: "well no one can be that happy all the time." Well she was wrong.

And I think for this reason I have to have a daughter named Sunny.  A little ray of sunshine in our home. If I get all boys...I guess I could live with that. But Sunny if you're out there, please don't leave me in a house full of boys.

I've learned quite a few lessons throughout my life about being happy. A few of which I'll share below.  If you want to know, read on!

1. No one can make you happy and no one can make you mad.  I remember my mom telling me this a long time ago. Thanks again momma!  We choose to get angry when someone does something we don't like and we also can choose to be happy.  I admit it is SO hard to not get angry when everything else inside me is saying "smack that person!" But if we take a deep breath, think about what we will say or not say before it spills out of our mouth, we can often diffuse what could otherwise become a heated argument or a day spent fuming about whatever was wronged.  As for choosing to be happy, it really is a choice. We can choose to dwell on things we cannot control. I know some people that seem to do this for drama's sake.  Better to focus on what is in our control and pray to the Lord for things we cannot control that are in His hands. Then trust that everything will be ok.

2. Exercise! I've been taught this since elementary school and from legally blonde =) "Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don't shoot their husbands." Thank you Elle Woods.  Seriously though if I haven't exercised in a while, I start to get cranky.  I feel more tired, more irritable.  I was an athlete all my life, but once you're not in an organized sport it's hard to stay active and figure out what to do. My dashing husband bought me a gym membership and that first day on the treadmill I was almost crying with joy. That sounds ridiculous, trust me I felt ridiculous. Happy crying over gym time? (a bit hormonal that day) But running through my mind was, "this is awesome! this feels so good!"  We need a release of every day pressures, exercise can do that!  Or oreos...lol

Some fit humor! !

3. Wear makeup. Ya so I might not go anywhere today and my husband might be the only one who sees me.  But I'm not one of those people who looks great without makeup, so when I put it on I feel so much better! I feel more alive and awake.  Some of you out there look amazing with no fix up, but for the rest of us, wow what a difference. Confidence booster.  I heard someone say once "even an old barn looks good with a new coat of paint." So true!

4. Have faith. If you read my blog or know me, you know I'm mormon.  Follow the link on the side to know more about that.  Whether you are baptist, catholic, mormon, it doesn't matter. All people need faith in God.  In all truth, all of these other things I've mentioned like exercise doesn't matter a whole lot unless I am being true to the faith I hold dear.  Prayer, daily scripture study, and doing those things with your family will change your life.  Sure you could get by and probably be pretty happy, but you will feel real, tangible happiness with prayer and scripture study part of your life.  It has changed the course of my life dramatically and I've seen others take a totally different path who have ended up very unhappy.  Seriously, it makes all the difference.

5. Get outside of yourself. Serve someone else.




A lot of what I hear on TV and such is "focus on yourself" "you are what is most important." Sure it is important to take care of your physically, spiritually, mentally etc.  But it's not ok to be selfish.  If you've ever served someone else whether it was bringing them dinner, teaching them something, being their friend when they're alone, etc...you feel amazing! All those warm fuzzies inside make you happy.  My first semester at college, I felt pretty alone. I had made friends, but I felt so intimidated by all the pretty smart girls everywhere! (other lesson, don't compare yourself).  But I got caught up in this trap of feeling like I wasn't that good after all.  Thankfully one day I snapped out of it. I had a thought that if I really wanted to be happy with myself, I needed to get out of my own little bubble and be with other people! Love them, get to know them, help them, listen to them. And I was cured. So try it, bring in your neighbors trash can today =)

6. Create something. Read or watch a wonderful talk about this by Dieter F. Uctdorf.  In it he says "the desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul."  One of the main reasons why I love art so much and chose it as a career was that I could create something beautiful that didn't exist!  I find so much satisfaction in sewing, writing, drawing, painting and anything involved with creating. Kids too. Ask any little kid and they love to draw, sing, dance, make mud pies.  It's us old people that talk ourselves out of those things because we think we're not good enough.  Just do it anyway.

The most amazing, precious thing I have ever created: my little boy.   Obviously I couldn't do this alone =) I know without a doubt my husband and I's happiest moment was seeing our son for the first time. I marveled all the time thinking, oh my gosh we made that? That baby was just inside me? What?! Truly incredible.  The phase of parenting with children at home is rough. I hear women complain about it often.  If you find yourself in this boat, remember this:
http://www.threelittlemonkeysstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Laundry.jpg  If you are still in the process of raising children be aware that the piles and piles of laundry will disappear all too soon and that you will, to your surprise, miss them profoundly. Thomas S. Monson


So moral of the story...you don't have to do drugs to be happy.  There are plenty of other ways, FAR BETTER ways.

So be happy!

Side note, watching my husband play with our son: yep that's a  happy moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment